I'm in Namibia! 100 Countries Around the World!

Poland, May 2010

BICYCLE STOLEN FROM WARSAW POLAND, 16 MAY 2011

Today I am writing from Poland. I am now in Warsaw, I have traveled 60 countries and paddled more than 83.000km so far. Yesterday i lost my bike (Treke). It was stolen in Warsaw. I am staying at one CS friend house – an apartment in central Warsaw. I locked it in down stairs with a chain and in the morning it was not there although the gate has double lock and a door code and security. I was in police station with my friend and we made a theft complaint. Next i will go to Germany, Denmark, Norway to Iceland to Greenland. I am thinking how i will overcome this problem,i don’t know what i will do, i will stay here this week and try to find a new cycle for my further journey.

61 Responses

1. Maciej says:

Wow! Polish people are insane! I see some people writing on here that they never have had anything stolen from or from people they know. Well let me be one of the first to say that is highly unlikely. I was born in Poland and I lived there for no more than 4 years when I was a child before I moved to another country and since then I have visited Poland about 8 times and every time I go there I hear my family talking about how someone stole this or how someone stole that. Then I turn on the news and I hear the Prime Minister of Poland talking about how productive Poland is in the world arena. Well Mr. Tusk it seems that your country is productive. Productive in theft, bribery, etc..

Somen…I apologize in the name of my old country that this happened to you. I hope you enjoy the rest of your journey and I am sure you will because one can only run into such an embarrassing situation in good old Poland.

1. somen says:

Thank you, Natalia and thank you, Radek and everybody in Poland and Warszaw for the help, support and sympathy. People are my God. Best regards, peace and happiness, Somen Debnath.

• Robert says:

Somen, greetings from all polish bike lovers living in US / Chicago, I hope you’ll never experience anything like this on your future tours. Good luck !!!

1. jo says:

best regards from Poland, i just read an article in polish newspapper about U and your bike-sorry for that. good luck and head up. take care! p.s come visit Lublin

1. Arczo says:

Hello.I live in Poland, albeit in a much smaller city Glogow. Never in our beautiful country I know nothing has been stolen or anyone of my friends. Somen rode my bike so many kilometers and countries, we can see that the perpetrators of this deed Somen know who he is and probably wanted to sell it.

Regards from Polish. ps. please do not writing a bad comments about Polandps. Translated by Google Translate.

1. Arczo says:

Hello. I live in Poland, albeit in a much smaller city smelter. Never in our beautiful country I know nothing has been stolen or anyone of my friends. Somen rode my bike so many miles and countries, we can see that the perpetrators of this deed Somen know who he is and probably wanted to sell it.

Regards from Polish ps. please do not writing a bad comments about Poland. Translated by Google Translate.

1. I’m shame about my citizens, is so stupid, it helps to make stereotypes about Poland. Poland = thiefs. Living in warsaw riding a bike i’m with you man. It makes me sick

• Marcin says:

That is right. The citizens of our country for ages they were envious, jealous, do not know what is due. Until today, in Poland and Poles abroad, and thus steal the statistics are superior theft. I am very embarrassed by this situation. I heard about this this morning. When I heard about it from the heart, nerves stood in my throat. >: (Are you sure we provide you with the administration of a new bike, but it is no longer the same, which you race through as many miles. We can only grab the thief and cut his legs.

I greet and wish you continued success on the road.

1. Haludek says:

It’s not your fault what happened, but you need to be more careful in the future – maybe not paranoid, but very cautious and more suspicious among others. World is full of bad people who would use any chance to steal from or harm a person like you. Don’t let your property out of your sight and be very, VERY cautious when riding the roads. There are always some crazy or drunk drivers who could hurt or even kill you. Be sure to be visible at night time.

I wish you all good luck in the world, you’re a good person and there are never enough of people like you – we can’t allow to lose you :)

Take care.

1. NW_kita says:

they could have saved your life, riding polish so-called roads is extremely risky with trucks riding along your side day and night. when bad shit happens, good shit happens too peace from poland

1. a58_nw says:

Hi, you have to understand that we are a nation of high practicality. Think of it, traveling across the globe is just so pitiful and lame. This bike of yours was utilized, perhaps, in better way. Maybe someone paid you for writing this shitty story so you could have a beef with Poles. Believe me, you do not want that. Tell the story that is behind that article and we could forget about it. All in all we are humans right, next time think what you do. I am sure that in Russia you would have lost your kidneys and retina, considering your helplessness and attitude. Jan

• Haludek says:

Wasting one’s lifetime sitting in front of a computer and writing mean comments to someone who’s having time of his life and helping others is way to many levels of lame that it could be described. Live your life, make your dreams come true and stop hating others who do so.

1. Emily says:

Hello, I’m from Poland, I live quite near Warsaw and I’m really ashamed of what people from my country did. I really like you because of your passion and a very nice smile :) and I’m sorry that it happened just in my country. I hope you don’t think all people in Poland are thieves… We aren’t thieves but there are so many stupid and jealous people there and it’s really sad… I hope you’ve also met many interesting and friendly people there cause there are many of them and you’ve got some good memories from our country, too.

Greetings! Emily

• somen says:

I have many good memories from Poland and people are my God. I travelled with their help and friendship. Thank you, Emily, regards, Somen Debnath

1. Emilia says:

Hey Somen!

I feel really sorry for that what have happened to you in my hometown :( That was very unfortunate, but I hope you can continue your great mission and you will also retain good memories of Warsaw and Poland!

Greetings!

1. Beata says:

Don’t worry, I’m from Poland too, my bike was stolen some time ago also and until today I haven’t got any cycle to ride -,- Oh, and you are very handsome, by the way. Greetings!

1. Warsaw Resident says:

Hi,

It was very sad to see that your bike got stolen, but I have seen the news that Giant Polska is going to provide you with a new one! :)

Also, the latest news is that the 2 thieves have been caught by the police.

So, at least it worked out in the end, and I hope that you have some positive experiences in Warsaw as well — it’s really not such a bad place. I don’t understand why those who live here have to always say such awful things about their home city :(

Good luck!

1. WMG says:

no offense, but you better get your ass out of this country. people in the internet will be nice for you. the whole rest will try to clown you around behind your back or even worse. this is Poland my friend. good luck

• Klaudiaa says:

Wtf ? hav u got problem wif Poland ? It’s a nice country.. it doesnt matter if someone stolen his bike, maybe someone take it when were drunk or sumfin ? ;/

1. HJoB says:

Hey, I’m from Poland. I’ve got 2 bicycles, and I keep them in my apartment. If your bike was realy in apartment in central Warsaw, with double lock and behind doors code and security, so it was stolen by security or someone from the same building. But it’s only my opinion.

• Karolina says:

i think so!!!!! same happened to me in Warsaw (not once). Now I already know where to keep by bicycle.. But Somen didnt expect something like that. someone should have to worn/adviced him.. ;/ If he stayed in my apartment I would tell him to keep his cycle inside!! anyway I hope a new bike will come soon:)

1. tomek says:

and what did u expected from poland lol? dont come here again man. thats suicide

1. MACIEJ says:

Well, it’s something about Warsaw, cuz I lost 2 bikes in here:/ now I keep my third bike in my room :) a lot safer…

Greetings (from Warsaw of course)

1. Krzysiek says:

You had chosen the worst city to visit… Come to Podlasie – the most beautiful region on Poland ;)

1. Adrian says:

Yes, I agree with my Polish friends. Is it possible to publish your bank account number? Maybe You will buy a new bike…

As Piłsudski said (it is in Piotr’s post), we are “Nation great, but people – wh*res.” Unfortunately. Greetings!

• somen says:

Thank you, Tomek, Klaudiaa, Krysiek, Andrian, Maciej..All is ok now, I have a new bicycle thanks to Polish friends. You are very kind persons, thank you, best regards, Somen.

1. mateusz says:

Hi Somen, i’v seen TV news about Your “adventure” in my city :-( Its so really sad. Maybe you can post your bank account number (or number of your polish friend)? I sure im not the lonely one who wants to help you! good luck Mateusz

1. Radek says:

Hi Somen,

Would you be able to publish a paypal or any other account in Poland – would be happy to help you get a new bike. Hope your further experience in Poland will be better than this!

Cheers,

Radek

1. James says:

This is sooo embarassing. Post your bank account number. We’ll collect money for a new one.

1. testoviron says:

Well, polacks is niggers of europe. I’m not suprised of this.

• Radek says:

Testoviron,

This could have happened anywhere. Check the number of bikes stolen each year in Amsterdam before you post things like that. Instead of moaning commit to chip in few PLN so that Somen can get a new bike.

Stay positive,

Radek

• somen says:

Poland is a great country and Polish are excellent people. Thank you TESTOVIRON and Radek. Regards, Somen Debnath.

• SOMNATH says:

Testoviron

Thats really offensive i am an Indian staying in Poland for 4 years, i have never faced any problem …. its just a stupid situation , you cant blame the country & as i have heard the polish people from Warsaw is more than helpful to get media and legal attention to the case.

Do you have any evidence or proof to support your comment … please kindly use your words carefully…its a great nation with really good people & you never know might be the person who stole it , can be from any part of the world.

rgds

1. Ala says:

Well Im shocked but this is Warsaw… May be someone want you to stay in Poland for a while. Think about visiting towns instead of cities. Your idea of travelling around the world is great. Good luck! Visit my lovely Kalisz… A.

1. Yonq says:

Go to Kończyce Wielkie :D

1. Piotr says:

That is exactly why I dont live in my home country no more…as our great leader once said: ‘Naród wspaniały, tylko ludzie kurwy’

Hope the rest of your travels go better than your Polish experience.

Take care P.

PS: go visit Cracow if you have time, its much better than Warsaw.

• Karolina says:

I lost 3 bikes in warsaw but I wouldn’t say what you said. I lived in another country (one of the safest in the world) and I faced similar situation. Shit happens. cheers

1. Szymon says:

Sorry for that Sir! Hope you will spend now just a great time in our country – Poland. Really sorry for you. Hope you will get a new bicycle and finish your great journey! Good luck! Best wishes from Poland…

1. Sebastian says:

Hi, Somen!

Please, accept apologies for what happened to you in my country. We are nation of many flaws which you have unfortunately experienced but we are also nation of individuals willing to gather together and help when there is a need to which you hopefully will experience. I am not sure if you are aware of it but there is a group on facebook dedicated to you. The creator of it is going to set up a bank account and members of the group (myself included) are going to transfer donations to it for you to being able to buy a new bike.

Please, let us all know how things are going.

What happened to you is awful and, as Natalia has said, embarrassing, upsetting. Although if it didn’t happen, I would never get to know about you and your wonderful way of living.

Good luck for the rest of your journey and your whole life! Meet good people only! Live long and prosper!

1. Natalia says:

It’s so embarassing for other Polish people… sorry for that. We wish you good luck (well, better than in Warsaw). Greeting from southern Poland.

• Radek says:

Natalia,

Cheer up. Bad things and people happen, Poland is not any different on that front. But it does not matter much if we can work together to get Somen on the road on a new bike. Any spare 10PLN on your bank account?

Sunday, the 22nd of May 2011, NEWS ABOUT MY STOLEN BICYCLE

Dear friends, I am going to visit one school in Warsaw at 9 am tomorrow.Mr Egor the teacher of Zespol Szkol im . P. Wysockiego ul,Odrowaza 75,03-310 Warszawa, was invited me for a visit school about my mission “HIV/AIDS awareness and seminar on Indian culture” i am going to give a presentation there tomorrow.

Good Morning, Warsaw, Poland

My stolen bicycle on news

News about my stolen bycicle, thank you

30 MAY 2011, WARSAW, POLAND, CRITICAL MASS

Ten days great story in Warszaw, Poland, great memorable time! I will never forget! Thank ypu, my frieds!

About Somen Debnath

Dear friends, my name is Somen Debnath. I am a resident of the village of Basanti, Sundarbans, West Bengal, which is a great mangrove forest and the largest tiger reserve in India. My "Around the World Bicycle Tour for HIV/AIDS Awareness Programme & Presentation of Indian Culture" started on 27th of May 2004, two days after I acquired Bachelor degree in Zoology from the University of Calcutta. I have also completed 'Visarad' in Fine Arts from the Sarbabhartiya University. My goal is to cover 191 countries till 2020. I will travel 200.000 km in the whole world and reach nearly 20 million people. 118.000 km I will travel for charity, that's why I'm selling my Km to people. The support I will get from people buying my kilometres will help me fulfill my other dream: to build a Global village in my native place, Basanti, Sundarbans.